I always look forward to grilling season so I have an excuse to do two of my favorite things together: 1) get outside and 2) cook. I use our propane grill for dinner at least a few times a week once the weather is warm. Now I know there are some purists who think propane grills aren’t the real deal and swear by charcoal. For me, charcoal grilling is for weekends and special occasions. My propane grill works just fine when I have 30 minutes to get dinner on the table!
This recipe is a favorite of mine because it can be made any number of ways simply by changing the seasoning/sauce and or the veggies. I often use this as a clean out the fridge dinner to use whatever small amounts of various fresh items I have leftover from the week. My kids like the name and it encourages them to “eat the rainbow” of different items on their plates.
I often try to sneak a little fruit in here too (either pineapple or peaches). Grilled fruit just feels like summer to me and sneaking some sweet bites into any recipe will always be a winner with kids. KID TIP: “Accidentally” only get one piece of fruit in the scoop of veggies and fruit you give your kids. When they of course eat that first and ask for more, tell them you’ll give them another piece of fruit when they eat one of each of the other colors in the rainbow. This encourages them to try different things and makes sure they aren’t only eating the sweet bits.
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 1 red (purple) onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 red pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into large chunks
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Seasoning mix or sauce of your choice for veggies and meat
- Salt & pepper
Ingredients above are for the night pictured. I normally would love to have some green in there and zucchini would be my go-to but I didn’t have any on hand for this night.
Other ingredients you can use:
- 1 yellow onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 yellow or green zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 2 broccoli heads, cut into individual florets
- 1 yellow or orange pepper, cut into large chunks
- 2 peaches, peeled and sliced
- Really just about any veggie that you can cut into a big chunk will work! Just rummage around your fridge and get all the one off fresh ingredients you have.
Seasoning or sauce mix ideas:
- Anything that smells good to you from your local spice shop!
- Blackened seasoning
- Garlic salt
- Barbecue rub
- Barbecue sauce (chicken)
- Italian dressing (chicken or veggies)
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4-5 servings
I hope you enjoy your time outside by your grill, cool beverage in hand!
3 thoughts on “Grilled Chicken with Rainbow Veggies”